Pages

Total Pageviews

Friday, August 31, 2012

How to remove that annoying CAPTCHA (AKA squished together letters you must type to prove your not a robot)

Does anyone else have trouble with the security feature that pops up every time you try to post something?



While I appreciate Blogger for helping prevent "My cousin makes $2500 a day online" from popping up on my blog constantly, the security feature, named CAPTCHA, is just so darn hard to get to work!  Me and my friend Jordan were in a computer lab blogging and we kept having problems with trying to post stuff.  It almost became a game, he'd be like "Dude it took me like 5 tries to post something," and I would say "Man it took me like 6."  Needless to say we were having trouble with CAPTCHA.  

Thus, I have found steps to remove that feature from your personal blog should you so choose.  These are pictures borrowed from someone else who tells how to do it, but I have tried it on my blog and it works!

So first you'll want to go to your dashboard and click the little cog in the top right corner right under your profile picture.  This will give you a set of options and you want to click "Old Blogger Interface" as indicated in the photo by Grace Duffy (and I thank her for the use of her pictures).

 Next it should switch you to the old interface (which looks kinda lame in my opinion, I'm glad they changed it) and you'll want to click the settings button as indicated once again in the photo.


This should bring you to the settings tab under which you should click comments and scroll down


 Once you see the option that says "Do you want constant headaches, mental anguish, and the overwhelming desire to curse every time you try to post something?" It should be still on YES but you will want to click NO.
Lastly, your blog page should still be in old blogger mode.  You should be able to turn this off at the homepage.  At the top of the page it should say something like "try our new design" or "upgrade to the new blogger homepage" or something to that affect.  Switch that and you should be good to go.

Note: Unless the person on whose blog you are trying to comment has his/her CAPTCHA turned off it will still require you to decipher the squiggly lines to post a comment on their blog.  So refer them to my blog and pester them about it until they turn it off.

5 comments:

  1. I applied it to the main class blog, so that should make things easier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, really helped.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! I have to get this done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. I recently did a post on this same topic. I think that in the process of trying to fight spam bloggers are isolating their readers who want to share. By following your instructions they don't have to. All they have to do is moderate what comes in.

    ReplyDelete