Pages

Total Pageviews

Saturday, September 1, 2012

JBU Basketball Will Be Here Soon! How Will Our Teams Do This Year?

So first off I'd like to apologize to those out there who have read my blogs to be nice and because we're supposed to read each other's blogs but have absolutely zero concern for fantasy football.  I promise this blog isn't about fantasy football.  I figured I would write about something that I love and hopefully, since you attend this school, you love it too, JBU basketball.  While I'm not an expert on JBU basketball, or basketball in general for that matter, I did have the privilege to watch and announce a good number of the games last year.  So, I figured I would talk a little bit about how I think the teams will do this year.





First we will talk about the Women's Basketball team.  I really enjoyed watching and announcing their games.  When me and Brandon would do a game, generally he would announce the men and I would announce the women (I'm pretty sure me and Erin switched off announcing each of them but I can't remember, anyway I digress).

The women's team had two main problems last year and that was rebounding and going on long scoring droughts throughout the game.  Well this year is going to be tough without Chelsea Garrison who led the team in rebounds and was either first or second in scoring as well.  But I think the Lady Golden Eagles will actually be better this year.

Kami Garrison got some good playing time in last season filling in for her sister, but was still a little hesitant and made some turnovers down in the paint.  I expect for her to be much better with last years experience under her belt and knowing that she has to come in and be that dominant force in the middle like her sister was.  You also have girls like Kortni Barenberg and Morgan Ankrom who contribute on the boards as well playing with another year of experience behind them.  This was a very young team last year with only a few upper classmen on the roster so I expect them to gel a lot better and improve all around with more time together.

Also, JBU has a newcomer to the team, a junior college transfer Abbie Warren.  She is listed at 6'0", plays forward, and averaged 11 rebounds per game her Sr. year of high school, and 5 rebounds per game her freshmen year of college, so look for her to come in and make a good contribution in the paint as well.

Additionally, you have scorers like Jessica Berlin, Sierra Shipley, and Lauren Rogers, all who were sophomores and freshmen last year.  So, I expect really good things out of them this year as they continue to develop.



Next we have the guys, who were an absolute riot to watch last year.  I remember a few games where me and Brandon, Erin, or Anna (whoever I was announcing with at the time) would be so excited as the game came down to the wire that we would be shaking in our seats it was so exciting at times.

These guys have a lot of good leadership still on the team, but are really going to be hurt by the loss of Andy Garcia, Adrian Miller, and Thomas Galliguez.

Miller and Garcia accounted for the majority of the team's rebounds last year as they led the league in rebounding.  Guys like Jared Johnson and Max Hopfgartner are going to have to step up and fill their shoes inside.  I like what I've seen from these guys so far, and remember they were both only freshmen last year so they're going to get better and better as the season goes on.  If they can be aggressive on the boards and get some inside buckets when called upon I think this team will be set to repeat another trip to the National Tournament.

The guys look to be just as fast and electric on the outside as last year with guys like EJ, Abel, and Colston coming back.  Also, there are a few new faces on the team as Collin Hart and Kent High come in at point guard and guard respectively.  These guys were both very successful in high school and look to be dangerous shooting from the perimeter.  So, if JBU can hold down the fort down low I think all these scorers and playmakers on the outside could be pretty dangerous.

So that about wraps up my analysis, I'll admit I'm being very optimistic in my reviews but hey I'm a fan, I'm supposed to be!  Whether we win or lose I'll enjoy watching these guys and girls this year and hope you are as excited about this season as I am, and will come out and support your JBU Golden Eagles.

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait for the season to start up again! You will have my help from time to time again :)

    ReplyDelete