Pages

Total Pageviews

Friday, September 7, 2012

Masters of Acoustic Music: Alison Krauss and Union Station

I figured I would take a break from writing about sports and tackle one of my other hobbies, music!  I have been playing the banjo and guitar since before I started high school, and grew up listening to and playing Bluegrass music.  I absolutely love any type of acoustic music, and believe that it is becoming a lost art.  So much "music" out there electronic based and made mostly through the studio and a computer.  While I do enjoy a little dubstep every once in awhile, I think the most talented musicians are the ones that can make beautiful music with just there instrument and/or voice.  That being said, I want to highlight one of my all-time favorite bands and masters of acoustic music, Alison Krauss and Union Station.


As you may have noticed from the video, Alison Krauss has a stunning, angelic voice IMHO.  The way she can sing all types of songs ranging from the faster bluegrass tunes, to the slow, mournful ballads is one of my favorite things about her.  She holds the record for most Grammys won by a female artist of all time with a whopping 27 Grammy awards!  Not too mention she's also pretty darn good on the fiddle as well.

Her band is also super talented and has the greatest dobro player ever in Jerry Douglas (the dobro is the guitar shaped instrument that is laid flat while being played, FYI).  There banjo player has a style all his own and is also a master at acoustic guitar.  I love the way their harmonies blend as well.  All too often you hear bands that have great instrumentals but poor vocals or vice versa, but AKUS brings it all.  I hope you enjoy some of their videos that I've posted.  I purposely chose live performances just to show that some musicians can still perform live! Zero autotuning lol.  Stay tuned for my next master of acoustic music post where I highlight Nickel Creek.


1 comment:

  1. I'm sure you have probably already heard of them Jeff, but I think you would enjoy Grace Potter and the Nocturnals a lot too.

    ReplyDelete