Pages

Total Pageviews

Saturday, September 1, 2012

My Fantasy Football Draft Strategy: RB's First

As promised here is my draft strategy that I generally adhere to and suggest.  It has helped me get the best value out the draft that I am given.  While this is certainly not the only strategy, or even necessarily the best, it is one that could be helpful.


 




My strategy for fantasy drafting is RB's first.  I put the plural on there because I believe you should grab 2 RB's within the first three rounds of the draft.  The reason for this is, especially in this year's draft, elite RB's are hard to come by.  Scratch that, even good RB's are hard to come by.  Thus, unless Aaron Rodgers drops in your lap, then grab a RB in the first round, preferably one of these 3 guys above as they are all clear cut number one RB's on their respective teams and have all been fairly healthy and there fantasy point monsters!  After these 3 the RB's drop off a little bit but there are still some nice choices that you could make.  Darren McFadden, Chris Johnson and even Matt Forte are all solid choices for a late first round pick.  I would have no problem pulling the trigger on any of those guys in the first round.
Now if your further back in the first round and can't get a super elite RB then I would be ok with taking a beast like Calvin Johnson or heck even Fitzgerald to lock you up an elite number one receiver you can count on.  Then, I would go after some of the 2nd tier RB's who, some of them, could end up finishing in the top 5 by the end of the season, guys like:
Demarco Murray (I really like him this year if he can stay healthy),
Jamaal Charles (I think he's shown during preseason that he can still run pretty good even after the injury), Fred Jackson (the guy was a beast last year before he got hurt),
Steven Jackson (he is the definition of a solid pick, he's a workhorse back on a team with an inexperienced passing game so their gonna lean on him a lot), and even
Adrian Peterson (I know he's still coming back from an injury but I expect good things from him as the season progresses).
The point I'm trying to make here is not to reach for a QB in the early rounds.  There will be plenty of good QB's to choose from in the middle rounds, and they could be just as good as some of the early round QB's.  So while guys are using there first or second round pick to grab Drew Brees or Matthew Stafford, you're snatching up the few good RB's that are out there and preparing your team for success.
I'll leave you with this, There are probably around 30 WR's that are good solid guys that could start for your team, this year is especially deep for wide outs so don't reach for them.  There are around 15 QB's that I would have absolutely no problem with starting on my team.  But, there are only about 10 or 15 RB's who I would feel really confident about starting and who don't have injury or contract issues coming into the season, and remember you need to start at least 2 RB's and maybe 3 if you use one for flex.
Thus, my money is on grabbing the RB's early and often and waiting till the 4th or 5th round to grab a Tony Romo or Eli Manning who is more than capable of putting up great numbers along side your awesome RB's that you stole from the guy who's starting Ahmad Bradshaw and BenJarvus Green-Ellis.

1 comment:

  1. This actually kinda makes sense to me, and I've never really been into fantasy football before. I'm glad that you are utilizing your blog to what you are interested in man!

    ReplyDelete